Today, September 20th, marks the centenary of football returning to the town of Hyde after the First World War. It was decided to bring back Hyde FC as a reformed, new club, Hyde United.
That first competitive match of the 1919/20 season was at Home to Glossop Reserves in the Lancashire & Cheshire Federation League. It was played at the adjacent Townend Street pitch off Lumn Road; Ewen Fields was used for allotments during WW1 and still out of action, though the Club would return there the following year.
Hyde United played in black & white stripes that day but did change back to the pre-WWI and now familiar red shirts in 1927. The match ended in a 1-1 draw and the line-up was – CARR, FIRTH, SWINDELLS, CARSON, HADFIELD, KNOWLES, GALLEY, ALDRED, ORFORD, WILKINSON, SMITH – we know Smith scored the Hyde goal and they ended the season as runners-up in the division before joining the Manchester League for the following season.
You can read more about the history of Hyde United in the 4 volumes written by Club Historian, Mike Pavasovic. Enquiries can be made to the Club at e-mail – firstname.lastname@example.org